Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mac n Cheese

Last night we had Mac n Cheese, one of the kids' favorites, with steamed broccoli.  I ate most of the broccoli.

But, I love homemade Mac n Cheese for them.  I use whole-grain noodles ($.99 per package) and I make the cheese sauce while the noodles are cooking. 

I melt 6 T of butter and add 6 T of flour.  When that has blended and bubbled for a couple minutes (it should look light brown and slightly grainy while it bubbles), I add 2 C milk.  I whisk this until it starts to thicken and then I add 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (cheddar for color, but you could probably use any kind of cheese that's not processed).  I continue to stir this over medium heat until the cheese melts and the whole thing is gooey and pale orange. 

By that point, the noodles are done and drained.  I put noodles on plates and drizzle the cheese sauce over to taste.  Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and you have a healthy dinner fit for a king.

No comments:

Post a Comment