Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Aaaaaand we're back.... Magic soup

So, after a period of crazy intensity, I'm back at my computer and in the kitchen.

Today I found myself with a fridge full of leftovers of various kinds.  I needed more space in there.  So, today's Magic Soup was more adventurous than usual.

I started by sauteeing onions, celery and garlic (which, due to kitchen neglect, needed to be used NOW) in olive oil.  I added four cups of chicken broth (home-made) and four cups of beef stock (store-bought).  Then I threw in four potatoes, four carrots and a bunch of fresh green beans.  And a half-cup of rice.  I let that simmer for awhile.  When the veggies were pretty tender, I threw in some beef leftovers. While the original beef sandwiches were delicious, my todders tire of food quickly.  I also added about half a jug of tomato juice.  It's been simmering on my stove all afternoon, smelling lovely.  However, a taste test indicated I needed to add a half tablespoon of salt.  The resulting brew is thick and savory and Bri has been asking about it all day.  I'm going to throw in some dumplings to round it out before I serve it to the troops. 

And we have a home-made apple pie for dessert. 

I learned that stocks can be combined without affecting the flavor significantly.

It's good to be back.

1 comment: